– The shortlisted candidates only will be informed of the next steps of the recruitment process.
– Open for Iraqi Nationals only.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Strengthening accountability and tackling corruption are essential pre-requisites for Iraq’s long-term stability, economic recovery, and development. Both Iraqi and regional Kurdish governments have recently initiated steps to drive an ambitious anticorruption agenda. However, significant gaps remain in legislative and strategic framework, investigation and adjudication, enforcement and recovery of stolen assets. Iraq adopted in March 2021 the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards, but implementation measures are needed. UNDP in Iraq launched a project in May 2021 to support public partners at federal and the Kurdistan Regional Government to improve their capacity and legal framework to combat corruption and conduct commercial litigation.
The project titled “support to justice initiatives curbing corruption and promoting commercial dispute resolution” (hereinafter, Anti-Corruption & Arbitration Initiatives, ACAI) is funded by the European Union for a period of four years. The project works closely with the Prime Minister Office in Baghdad and supports directly the Commission of Integrity, the Higher Judicial Council and the Legal and Integrity Committees of the Council of Representatives. In Erbil, the project follows a similar mechanism of collaboration. Further, the project works with key civil society and investigative media organizations.
The project has the following specific outcomes:
(1) Improved Legislative and Strategic Framework for Anti-Corruption Reforms;
(2) The justice sector, lawyers and CoI are better equipped to process corruption offences due to (2.1) improved technical skills relevant for corruption investigation, prosecution, adjudication and (2.2) improved integrity rules of the justice sector;
(3) Improved capacity and legal framework to conduct commercial litigation through (3.1) better legal framework and capacity building for arbitration and (3.2) further development of the commercial court;
(4) Create a climate of support in Parliament for anti-corruption reforms;
(5) Increased transparency and public accountability.
- Liaise with and maintain strong relationships with state institutions that are the key partners of the project to ensure their cooperation, buy-in, access, support for the implementation of the activities and general support for the project through accessibility of information, signing of MoUs, participation in events etc;
- Liaise with and coordinate state institutions combatting corruption that occasionally take part in the project or are affected by project activities;
- Build trust, communicate and work closely with civil society and media organization that active in the anticorruption sector notably on the investigation and adjudication;
- Enlist the cooperation of non-governmental entities such as bar associations, trade unions and the private sector such as independent attorneys and arbitrators, and ensure they contribution to anticorruption and arbitration initiatives supported throughout the project;
- Encourage and support the presence, voice and contribution of all stakeholders in a policy dialogue with development partners notably by enabling the presentation of their studies, advocacy campaigns and other anticorruption initiatives;
- Identify the appropriate levels of interaction with stakeholders and advice the project management on sustaining dialogue and cooperation with them.
Facilitation of workshops and conferences
- Support the organization of workshops, conferences and public events including the logistics, design, clerical support and translation;
- Contribute to identify the participants, speakers, presenters and moderators;
- Support with the procurement, admin and financial processes to ensure timely holding of workshops and conferences;
- Support the specialist organizing the workshops to document them for communication, M&E and reporting purposes;
- Identify challenges and risks for holding of events at design, implementation and reporting phases;
General management support
- Develops and monitors work plans and budgets for all activities in the project portfolio;
- Ensures timely implementation of the project work plan;
- Ensures timely and adequate reporting against plans, including timely and articulate progress reports;
- Ensures the integrity of financial and administrative operations in the project area through financial oversight in consultation with the operations and Finance teams;
- Strict and consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations and ensuring the implementation of clear accountability mechanisms;
- Participates in internal control mechanisms for adherence to UNDP rules and regulations in contracts, assets, procurement, recruitment, etc., as required;
- Manages day to day administrative matters for the project with support from administrative staff and the performance of consultants and specialist advisers;
- Oversees monitoring and data management carried out by the monitoring officer and data management associate.
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the project area for organizational sharing and learning as well as external information;
- Actively participates in UNDP knowledge networks and takes advantage of best practices and lessons learned that are available in the region and globally, and encourages project staff to do so by creating a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Any other task assigned by the Project Manager.
Required skills and competencies:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to plan and priorities work activities to meet organizational goals and organize and oversee work processes efficiently to achieve quality results;
- Knowledge of donor financial reporting and project proposal drafting;
- An openness to new approaches for managing work complexity and unexpected issues;
- Team spirit and excellent interpersonal skills;
- The ability to model the UN’s values and ethical standards, and to promote UNDP’s and the UN’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
Desired additional skills and competencies
- Experience working directly with UN agencies is desirable;
- Experience in training of government officials will be an asset;
- Experience in working with civil society & media will be an asset;
- At least one year of experience in partnership building & stakeholder management experience.
Min. Academic Education:
- Master’s Degree in social policy, law, public policy, politics, economics, development studies or a related area. Bachelor’s degree with additional 2 years of relevant experience will be accepted in lieu of Masters.
Min. years of relevant Work experience:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in project development and project management in governance, rule of law or justice sector.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required;
- Fluency in Kurdish is desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.