With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:
Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)
Project Manager – SMEs – Anbar & Salahaddin
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Project Manager, reporting to the Area Manager, will provide overall leadership and management to the implementation of the UNDP Funded Project in both Anbar and Salah Al-Din Governorates. This position will be accountable for leadership, planning, support and management of the project so that activities and outputs remain on track and the program contributes to its main goal of the project and ensuring its contribution to WV Iraq Strategy.
The projects are aimed at implementing a project developed under the framework of UNDP Funding Facility for Supporting a Resilient Economic Recovery by Strengthening Small and Medium Enterprises SMEs project that aim to provide resilient employment opportunities for vulnerable Iraqis including youth and women through support to SMEs provided to improve their skills, access to finance, and maintenance of their assets. This is achieved through 2 outputs:
1. Output 1: Support vulnerable Iraqis including youth and women to improve their skills through on-job training/internship (output 1) to increase employability based on market needs
2. Output 2: Support SMEs (output 2) to improve their skills and recover/scale-up their business assets through tailored capacity building, coaching/mentoring, and provision of in-kind/cash grants informed by a Rapid value chain analysis/screening/market assessment
The project activities take into consideration the COVID-19 prevention measures.
The main objectives of the project are:
- Conduct a rapid Labour Market Assessment (LMA).
- Reach out to youth and women interested in the On-the-job Training
- Hold a graduation ceremony for the On-the-Job Training graduates
- Conduct an online impact assessment
- Outreach and selection of small and medium size existing business owners,
- Trained beneficiaries are given the opportunity to pitch their business idea and plans
- The successful bidder disburses the grants in cash, in minimum two installments, as per the business plan.
- Demonstrate World Vision’s core values, vision and mission in all aspects of the role.
- Ensure cooperation and coordination among relevant staff within the Project.
- Provide leadership and direction to the overall project.
- Create a learning environment in which staff regularly reflect, learn from mistakes and use lessons for personal growth and to revise work plans to improve ministry impact.
- Ensure that staff understand and follow the World Vision (WV) child protection policy and that awareness-raising on child protection, response and incident reporting is occurring.
Project Management (Quality Implementation, Financial & Risk Management)
- Coordinate with Area Manager, programmes, sector leads, finance, and administration staff to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities.
- Ensure that the program systems and staff are working to achieve the project goals and objectives and that the project is maintaining World Vision and donor accountability standards.
- Ensuring appropriate structures, internal and external standards, staffing, resources and policies as well as all grant requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure clear understanding of project assumptions by all project staff to aim at effective and timely achievement of project goals, outcomes and outputs.
- Ensure that all terms and conditions agreed in the signed MoUs with donor and government departments are adhered to throughout the life of the project.
- Manage and mitigate any risks within the Project that could have financial, Human Resources (HR) or Legal consequences or negatively impact ministry or World Vision reputation.
- Ensure that proper community development practices and “Do No Harm” practices are incorporated and upheld throughout the planning and implementation of the project.
- Support in the development of accurate and complete Bill of Quantities
- Prepare and submit procurement plan in close coordination with the team.
- In coordination with the PDQA, regularly monitor and evaluate the progress of the project.
- With support from WV Iraq’s Finance Department, assume primary responsibility for budget reviews and monthly financial reports, highlighting concerns as they arise.
- Ensure compliance with WV and donor financial policies and procedures and promoting a culture of transparency and accountability.
- Ensure proper coding and budget availability of all project expenses.
- Oversee the submission of monthly cash requests for project operations.
- Ensure contractors and creditors are paid in a timely manner.
- Review and approve expenditures and contract according to assigned levels of authority.
- Manage direct reports and provide overall project leadership
- Coordinate and oversee the hiring process for project staff.
- Coordinate and implement new employee project orientations and trainings.
- Monitor staff performance and raise any issues with Human Resources if necessary.
- Initiate and perform, with support from others, staff performance appraisals.
- In coordination with P&C, maintain accurate employee data files and oversee completion of routine issues such as contract renewals, leave, salary adjustments.
- Develop the capacity of staff to plan, monitor and coordinate service delivery.
- Identify staff capacity needs and undertake pro-active on-the-job training to strengthen their capacity to deliver interventions.
Monitoring, Reporting and Administration
- Ensure accurate quality narrative and financial reports are submitted in a timely manner and according to donor requirements.
- Work closely with Program Officer in ensuring that all reports meet donor requirements.
- Track the performance of the project activities and outputs against expected results and adjust implementation processes to ensure the project is progressing towards the intended outcomes.
- Analyse the impact of project and promote learning by documentation of best-practices. Use this information to support decision-making processes.
- Track project progress, project expenditure against approved budgets, anticipate any deviations and recommend and take action on relevant and required adjustments.
- Track project risk in order to timely adjust and implement the existing contingency plan.
- Travel regularly to all project sites to ensure proper implementation of project activities.
- Create and present monthly summaries of project activities and future plans to World Vision Iraq leadership.
- Ensure that organizational security measures and directives are integrated into project.
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the job.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. 4-6 years’ experience in grant project management. Strong generalist background essential, technical sector expertise is an added advantage.
2. Demonstrated experience working with projects in a leadership role.
3. Demonstrated experience in working on Micro enterprise support projects
4. 4-6 years of development and/or relief work at the programmatic level.
5. Mentoring within cross cultural contexts.
6. Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject (International Development, International Relations, Health, Environmental Engineering, Nutrition, Management etc).
7. Relevant master’s degree would be an advantage.
8. Understanding of Micro enterprise support/ livelihood promotion Interventions.
9. Demonstrated understanding of the humanitarian and development sector
10. Advanced written and oral English skills i.e. the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively, both in spoken and written English.
11. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
12. Knowledge of project cycle elements, M&E systems design and management.
13. Strong capacity building and facilitation skills.
14. Self-starter who can work independently under pressure and who has ability to manage work tasks without direct supervision.
15. Commitment to World Vision Core Values, Vision and Mission Statement.
Travel and/or Work Environment Requirement:
- Up to 60 Per Cent domestic travel.
Physical Requirements: Yes
- Fluency in Local language.
- Working knowledge of English and ability to write reports in English.
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local Applicants Only