Near East Foundation
Title: Project Manager
Reports to: Country Director
Location: Baghdad or Ramadi, Iraq
Travel: Frequent travel to project sites.
Position is contingent on funding. The anticipated start date is September 1, 2022.
The Near East Foundation (NEF) is seeking applicants for a Project Manager to be based in Baghdad or Ramadi. For over 100 years, NEF has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East and Africa through economic development and governance initiatives. NEF’s work is organized around three core program areas: Inclusive Economic Development, Climate-resilient Development, and Stabilization and Peacebuilding.
The Project Coordinator is a key member of the Near East Foundation team in Iraq. The Project Coordinator has the responsibility to ensure the smooth management and implementation of NEF projects.
Under the overall supervision of the Country Director, the Project Manager will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Recruit and onboard Iraq project staff; line manage technical specialists and area coordinators;
- Ensure effective coordination and programmatic coherence across the Iraq project team.
Implementation, Monitoring & Oversight
- Supervise the implementation of activities by NEF and project partners to ensure outputs are achieved and indicators are met in accordance with agreed upon timelines, quality standards and donor/NEF regulations and policies;
- Recommend where necessary any realignment of activities, and budgets;
- Develop and update monthly, quarterly and annual implementation plans in coordination with project staff and local partners;
- Maintain regular communication with partners and staff, and conduct regular field visits to monitor progress;
- Identify and address barriers to implementation, providing solutions and plans to resolve them; escalate concerns and mitigation plans to the Country Director.
- Continuously assess the local context, assumptions and changes in the working environment (a) to ensure the project’s focus, strategies and activities remain relevant and (b) to propose adjustments when needed;
- Coordinate closely with MEL staff to ensure an appropriate monitoring system is in place to track progress and deviations in project implementation;
- Coordinate with logistics staff to ensure the project procurement plan is in place and updated, and keep track of progress.
Financial Monitoring and Management
- In coordination with finance staff, review and monitor project spending, including sub-contractor to spending if relevant;
- Review and approve program financial documents, including receipts and supporting documentation;
- Support spending forecasting related to project activities.
Reporting & Documentation
- Collate/compile field-generated information and provide required inputs into progress/final reports on a timely manner and in compliance with HQ/donor requirements;
- Keep track of impact and success stories, and ensure they are reflected in reports and other communication/visibility materials.
Program Development & Strategic Planning
- Participate and contribute to internal strategic and planning meetings;
- Support/facilitate field assessments and discussions when needed to identify new areas of intervention;
- Support the Country Director in drafting concept papers and proposals when required.
Representation & Coordination
- Represent NEF in relevant working groups and forums at national and local levels, and other relevant interagency workshops or events in related sectors;
- Share relevant project information and documents with project team, partners, HQ and other stakeholders;
- In coordination with the Country Director, collaborate with NEF partners, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and relevant government ministries and local authorities;
- Maintain up-to-date with, and provide feedback on, government policies impacting beneficiary communities, and related work of humanitarian/development agencies;
- Assist with the coordination of visits to the NEF Iraq program by HQ colleagues, donors, NEF board members, and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with relevant HQ colleagues as required;
- Ensure compliance with applicable donor and NEF policies and regulations;.
- Ensure all project documentation required by NEF and donor is accurately collected, organized and filed;
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the scope of work as requested by the supervisor.
Note: Research suggests that women may self-select out of opportunities if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to succeed within this position and thrive at NEF to apply for this role.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher relevant field preferred;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience with humanitarian and/or development organizations, including significant experience of working with implementing partners to deliver development interventions and/or humanitarian programs;
- At least 5 years in a senior management position;
- Experience working in the field and leading/managing teams;
- Familiarity with US, EU, UN and/or UK donor guidelines is a strong advantage;
- Proven skills in partnership building, influence and negotiation with a range of humanitarian actors, including governments, UN agencies, academic institutions, networks, national/local NGOs and community groups;
- Understands rights and protection issues of refugees, IDPs, children and women, including solid experience working with vulnerable communities;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal;
- Excellent analytical, writing and communications skills.
- High-level of knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. required.
Other Essential Competencies:
- Willingness and able to travel to field sites frequently;
- Strong people management skills;
- Able to take initiative and very self-motivated, with a strong capacity to work within a team;
- Able to work independently, with a strong work ethic and high level of professionalism;
- Capable of maintaining confidentiality and ensuring others do as well;
- Flexible, solutions-oriented, and willingness to learn from and support others;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks, and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines;
- Able to establish and maintain good working relationships with people from different backgrounds;
- Strong commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Address Baghdad or Ramadi, Iraq USD Month
- How to apply NEF will accept a rolling application until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible before Wednesday, June 23, 2022. To apply: Please apply by submitting the following documents to the Near East Foundation Careers Page at https://www.neareast.org/careers/ : 1. Cover letter outlining relevant experience and availability 2. Curriculum Vitae 3. List of three references (including one from current, or most recent, employer) Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org. Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org. The Near East Foundation promotes Equal Opportunities for all applicants seeking employment and NEF employees. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Pre-employment Checks Any Employment with the Near East Foundation will be subject to the following checks prior to start date: • A satisfactory Restricted Party Screening. • Receipt of satisfactory references. • Proof of eligibility to work in the national location for this role.