Requisition ID: req34780
Job Title: Protection and Rule of Law Manager – Kirkuk
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kirkuk, Iraq
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 25 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC has long-term Iraq-based and cross-border programmes supporting IDPs and refugees. Working in coordination with the humanitarian community, the IRC currently addresses the needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) in South-Central Iraq and war-affected Syrians from several operational bases in the region. In response to the IDP situation, the IRC in partnership with the UNHCR – has been running the Protection Assistance and Reintegration Centres (PARCs) since 2009 in Central Iraq and has an overall protection and legal programme covering 11 governorates.
The IRC currently oversees 4 programs in a total of 4 governorates, and is currently implementing an emergency response in Ninewa, Kirkuk, Salah al-Din and Anbar. This project provides activities including protection monitoring, legal assistance (for civil documentation and Housing Land and Property), information dissemination, capacity building and advocacy with regard to the persons of concern’s access to services and rights.
Under the line management of the Sr. Protection Manager and technical management of the Protection Coordinator, the Protection Manager in Kirkuk will oversee the implementation of the Emergency protection and legal project in Ninewa governorates. The Protection Manager will line manage the protection monitoring and legal teams, with the technical support of the Legal manager and Protection coordinator.
The Protection Manager will be responsible for organising the work of the protection and legal teams in the field, according to the harmonized tools of the protection programme, establishing and monitoring weekly/by-weekly and monthly workplans of protection visits, cases received, referrals and advocacy. He/she will also be responsible for ensuring the quality implementation of the projects and timely submission of reports, and answer requests for information in a timely fashion. The Protection Manager will coordinate with other stakeholders in the field in order to maximize the protection response in Kirkuk governorate.
1. Managing all day to day Protection and Legal activities in the governorate as per the Protection and Rule of Law project proposals, and serving as the primary focal point of the IRC Protection Programme in the governorate.
2. In consultation with the Sr Protection Manager / Senior Legal Manager / Protection Coordinator, establishes a monthly work plan for all program activities including:
– A monthly protection monitoring field visit plan, with bi-weekly/weekly updates depending on the situation and events.
– A monthly field visit planning for the lawyers, depending on the referred cases and sites identified as in need of legal assistance, with bi-weekly/weekly updates depending on the situation and events
– Establishing and monitor a monthly advocacy/networking plan.
3. Monthly updates on :
– the Indicator Tracking system online
– the Budget forecast for the following month
– the cash forecast for the following month
– the workplan
– check the BvAs and the transactions for Kirkuk governorates and coordinates with the Senior Protection manager / Protection Coordinator for recoding wrong transactions
– the support documentation for legal fees and other Petty Cash reimbursement, in cooperation with all relevant staff in Kirkuk office (lawyers, legal team leaders, monitors, protection monitor team leaders) and admin staff in Kirkuk
– follow-up of procurement plans
4. Supports the professional development of all direct reports, and follow-up on all Human Resource issues in Kirkuk for the Protection team
5. Responsible to raise and follow-up PRs in coordination with the Senior Protection Manager and Protection Coordinator
6. Responsible on a monthly basis to purchase office supplies
Project development and Reporting
7. Participate in Grants Opening Meetings, Grants Review Meetings and Grants closing meetings, and follow-up on the action points relating to Kirkuk.
8. Collects, revises and submits weekly reports in Arabic from Monitors and Lawyers and translated protection data from the Reporting/Database Officer and submits them to the Senior Protection Manager or Protection coordinator/Reporting Officers in Kirkuk or Baghdad in a timely manner, ensuring deadlines are respected.
9. Leads the consolidation of non-legal service provider data and non-legal referrals to establish effective referral pathways, and ensure follow-up of referred cases
10. Support the Legal team leader in weekly data collection and reports, as per Sr Protection manager and Protection Coordinator’s guidance
11. Supports Senior Protection Manager and Protection Coordinator in donor’s report, ensuring respect of the deadlines.
12. Supports Senior Protection Manager and Protection Coordination on ad-hoc reports required related with Kirkuk.
13. Participate in project and budget developments related to new projects / activities in Kirkuk.
14. Assists in drafting monthly protection monitoring reports as directed by Senior PARC Management, finalizing monthly report according to donor/IRC standards.
15. Coordinates with all stakeholders (Local authority, NGOs, etc.) and seeks out new partnerships and collaborations to improve service delivery.
16. Participates to relevant coordination meetings as well as donor’s meetings, as per Senior Protection Manager and Protection Coordinator’s requests, and provides feedback on the meetings right afterwards.
17. Responsible for all financial, administrative, and operations work related to the governorate including drafting of request for payment and collection of documents to be submitted to the Deputy Programme Manager-Ops.
18. Ensures financial closing of monthly petty cash
19. Monitors and records all documents related to budget revision
20. Any other duties requested from the Senior Program Manager or Senior Management to support the program.
Staff Management and Development
· Coach, train, and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their legal and protection technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing professional development guidance
· Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
· Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development.
· Promote and monitor staff care and well-being; approve and manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
· Offer leadership support for successful adherence by staff to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Kirkuk Field Manager
Position directly supervises: Protection Team Leaders, Legal Team Leaders
Indirect Reporting: Protection Officers, Legal Officers
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Area Coordinator in Kirkuk, Finance, HR, and Supply Chain departments
External: Legal and Protection stakeholders (Legal courts, Civil Affair Directorates, Compensation Sub-Committees, Bar Associations, UN agencies and other Protection actors)
· University degree in relevant professional qualification. Minimum 4 years of experience from which minimum 2 year in a managerial level.
· Very strong values in term of ethics and morals
· Strong understanding of project management steps and requirements
· Excellent drafting and oral communication skills in Arabic (bilingual drafting and oral communication skills in Arabic and English is preferred).
· At least 4 years of experience preferably in project management (experience working in remote management preferable)
· Understanding of monitoring and evaluation in the context of programming
· Good understanding of IDPs challenges and Iraqi laws
· Understanding of international human rights and Iraqi law.
· Good interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills;
· Strong skills in Microsoft Office operations including Word, Excel and Power Point
Working Environment: The position will be based in IRC Kirkuk office with frequent travels within the Kirkuk governorate and to other IRC offices including in Erbil and Baghdad. The incumbent with work closely with a dynamic team in a proactive working environment which offers opportunities for capacity growth. S/he will coordinate closely with the finance, HR and supply chain departments, alongside the Area Coordinator, to ensure smooth planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting of the PROL program. S/he will also coordinate PROL related communications with local partners and external stakeholders such as the legal courts, civil affairs directorates, Bar Association, protection actors in the community.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including maternity leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Per the Iraqi Ministry of Health COVID-19 guidelines, IRC requires candidates who are selected for positions to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination to enter IRC premises. However, the exemption is only accepted per the Iraqi Health regulation and upon the provision of a negative PCR test.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Notice to all Job Seekers
IRC implements an equal employment opportunity policy, and our recruitment process is based on merit.
Applicants and/or successful interview candidates (both internal and external) are not required to pay any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
If anyone asks you for any financial or non-financial favors to help you secure a job at IRC, kindly report to [email protected].
ملاحظة لكل الباحثين عن وظيفة
تعتمد لجنة الانقاذ الدولية سياسة فرص عمل متساوية وان عملية التوظيف لدينا تعتمد على الجدارة .
لايتوجب على المتقدمين لاي وظيفة او المؤهلين للمقابلات (سواء كانوا موظفيين حالين او متقدمين من خارج المنظمة) دفع اي مبلغ مالي خلال اي مرحلة من مراحل التوظيف.
اذا قام اي شخص بطلب اي خدمة مالية او غير مالية لقاء مساعدتكم في تأمين فرصة عمل داخل المنظمة ،يرجى الابلاغ عن ذلك الى [email protected]
- Address Kirkuk USD Month