Position Protection Manager
Reports to Program Manager and Protection Coordinator
Supervise Protection Officers
Status Full Time
Duty Station Erbil, KRI region of Iraq
All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is
mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week of employment.
Purpose/objective of the position:
The Protection Manager position is aimed at ensuring protection technical expertise for a sound implementation of the protection linked components, regardless their source of funds.
The Protection Manager will lead, coordinate and support the implementation of protection-related Activities of the INTERSOS projects and in particular on the all protection-components linked activities (Case Management, Legal Assistance, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support). While ensuring protection mainstreaming within other sector’s projects, in particular health and Education. S/he will guarantee the overall supervision of the project team involved in protection-related activities and the economic and financial administration of the projects’ objectives and results. S/he will also oversee the capacitation of staff and actively provide proper capacity building to all protection staff
(staff from directly managed projects and upon request also to other INTERSOS staff). S/he will ensure that training and capacity building needs of field protection staff are timely addressed and that the protection services and activities meet quality standards in the sector.
The Protection Manager will report to the Program Manager for implementation of the protection project activities (line manager). S/he will report to the Protection Coordinator for all technical related matters of the protection component.
● Ensuring timely implementation of Protection activities in line with proposal targets, budget and work-plan;
● Preparing, managing and regularly updating the projects’ sub-component work plans (activity and financial) in close coordination with the Program Manager ensuring timely and quality delivery;
● Maintaining updated data on achievements through different off-line and on-line tools and platforms, as requested by Program Manager and Protection Coordinator;
● Guaranteeing implementation of program activities in compliance with the program strategy as well as INTERSOS and donor guidelines;
● Coordinating with logistics, administration and finance staff for funding and support of operations;
● Undertaking regular field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision as well as conduct regular monitoring on the progress of Protection activities;
● Ensure close monitoring of Protection activities including case audits, field visits and shadowing of activities as needed;
● Undertaking appropriate filing system for Protection program related documentation is in place for project compliance and donor audits.
● Ensure lessons learnt are documented and capitalize best practices, while providing relevant feedback for new program development.
● Periodically updating the context specific Protection situation analysis and informing/discussing with relevant colleagues accordingly;
● Working closely and proactively engage with relevant colleagues in ensuring the integration of Protection Mainstreaming principles in other sectors within INTERSOS programming in KRI (following IASC global guidelines);
● Undertaking technical assessments of protection needs and gaps in anticipation of potential changes in the protection strategy and implementation;
● Supporting the development, implementation and evaluation of the Protection Mission strategy and Protection programs in reference to the Protection sector, providing technical inputs and
recommendations for new and ongoing interventions;
● Leading and supporting the development of new project proposals (technical and financial);
● Maintaining contacts donor officers, governmental and national authorities, local institutions, partners, project stakeholders and other organization working in the project areas, for what
concerns the Protection component;
● Implementing a Protection Capacity Building Program, with clear timelines, steps to be undertaken and goals to be reached to capacitate protection staff;
● Maintain and support positive team communications and dynamics: organize regular project management meetings, maintain strict collaboration with logistic, finance and MEAL
departments; as well technical specialists.
In her/his function of Protection Manager, s/he will be responsible for several protection components:
● Supervise the implementation of legal assistance activities with the support of the Legal Officer;
● Ensure adherence of legal assistance activities to the legal assistance SOPs with the support of the Legal Officer;
● Monitor the quality of legal assistance activities including legal awareness, legal counseling, legal services assistance and court representation (including visiting activities in the field);
● Ensure that monitoring of legal assistance activities conducted by MEAL department include feedback from beneficiaries;
● Review weekly and monthly planning of legal assistance activities prepared by the Legal Officer;
● Receive and monitor the PR requests and weekly Liquidity Plan prepared and sent by the Legal Officer;
● Lead, with the support of the Legal Officer, monthly analysis of the legal protection trends affecting the region for evidence-based advocacy;
● Oversee the legal platform and legal database to ensure timely updated inputs and adherence to SOPs.
Case Management (CM):
● Supervise the implementation of activities in the case management component with strong support from the Case Management Officer and in accordance with the CM SOPs;
● Ensure the monthly monitoring of case management activities, with the support of the Case Management Officer, according to established Case Management Supervision Monitoring Tools,
including spot-checks of the case management platform and through case audits;
● Receive and monitor PR requests and weekly Liquidity Plan prepared and sent by the Case Management Officer;
● Support the Case Management Officer in dealing with complicated high-risk cases through technically advice;
● Receive and check the monthly Case Management protection trend analysis prepared by the Case Management Officer.
Community Based Protection:
● Ensuring that all activities are designed and implemented in light of a community-based approach;
● Working with the community outreach volunteers to ensure proper capacity building plan and understanding of protection standards;
● Monitoring the establishment and the availability of support for community groups while ensuring proper planning of support for community-based initiatives and groups;
● Establish/maintain good relationships with community leaders and community members.
Monitoring and Reporting:
● Ensuring staff capacity building in the use of the INTERSOS Management Platform (IMP);
● Revising technical reports prepared and compiled by the Protection Officers to be sent to the MEAL Department and/or to the Program Manager;
● Preparing narrative activity and donor reports with reference to the project’s sub-components for Protection, according to INTERSOS and donor requirements;
● Collaborate with the MEAL Department in order to ensure quality standards of implementation and collect/process feedback and complaints from beneficiaries;
● Contribute to quality reporting through protection trends analysis;
● Undertake monitoring field visit of protection activities.
Coordination and representation:
● Conducting regular meetings with donor representatives and facilitate field visits as needed;
● Establish and maintain regular and collaborative relations with relevant stakeholders (partners, donors, other organizations, local authorities and institutions);
● Contribute to set programming strategies for INTERSOS Iraq with reference to the Protection sector;
● Proactively participate and represent INTERSOS in relevant working groups and relevant inter- sectorial coordination meetings at field level to contribute in the development of guidelines, standards, tools and strategies, both at the regional and national level;
● Proactively engage in bi-lateral meetings with other INGOs and NGOs active in relevant geographical areas to avoid duplication, ensure coordination and referral and work for complementary efforts.
● Support the Protection Officers in recruitment and selection of Protection staff;
● Coordinate and supervise Protection staff and evaluate the performances of the Protection Officers;
● Train protection staff on protection concepts and related issues, the guiding principles underlying the response approach and ensure that national staff has access to external protection trainings.
● University Degree in law, human rights law, international relations, international cooperation or equivalent.
● Masters Degree in a related field is an asset.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
● Three to five years of relevant work experience in protection with particular regards to experience in legal component;
● Demonstrated ability to work within a humanitarian context (experience with Refugees and IDPs is an asset);
● Very good understanding of protection, human rights law and international humanitarian law rights and international humanitarian principles;
● Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, GBVIMS, CPIMS);
● Excellent analytical and reporting skills on protection and human rights;
● At least one year of experience managing staff;
● Experience in managing protection projects (budget, procurement, logistic, HR) is an advantage.
● A high degree of flexibility and ability to work in insecure, stressful and hardship environments;
● High confidentiality, respect and non-discriminatory attitude;
● Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
● Fluency in English (written and spoken), Arabic and Kurdish.
- Address Sulaymaniyah
- How to apply INTERSOS is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right for everyone to apply to its vacancies without any discrimination. For those interested and who meet the required criteria, please apply below. Kindly note that: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to close the vacancy before the mentioned closing date. The preference will be given to qualified candidates from the recruitment area.