Requisition ID: req23351
Job Title: Protection Officer – Ninawa/Sinjar and Baaj
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Mosul, Iraq
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC established programs in Iraq in 2003 to address the overwhelming needs of displaced people in Iraq and the neighboring countries. Since re-establishing its presence in Iraq in November 2007, the IRC has been assisting thousands of internally displaced families in the northern, central and southern governorates in the sectors of protection, gender-based violence (GBV), education, economic recovery, child Protection and emergency humanitarian assistance. Working in coordination with the humanitarian community in Iraq, the IRC’s assistance and emergency programs address the needs of war-affected Iraqi internally displaced persons (IDPs) and Syrian refugees from several operational bases in the country, and include both camp-based and urban-based assistance. IRC operates throughout Iraq, with the main office in Erbil and field offices in, Baghdad, SAD, Anbar and Mosul.
- Monitor, asses, observe and report on key protection concerns and rights violations in the field to the Protection Team Leader and Protection Manager
- Implement protection monitoring (HHA, KII, and FGD) through field visits in villages, camps and other informal settlements with persons of concern within the community and identify individuals at risk and humanitarian needs
- Refer cases of vulnerable people to other IRC departments (Legal, Cash, Child Protection, GBV) and other humanitarian partners, government services or UN agencies
- Meet with local authorities, government officials, community leaders, humanitarian partners and other relevant actors to advocate for the rights of vulnerable people
- Conduct training with key stakeholders on protection principles, vulnerability criteria and protection mainstreaming
- Conduct training with Community Representation Groups(CRG), and work with them regularly to build capacity and support their activities
- Work with the Protection Team Leader or Protection Manager to network with UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs, local authorities and any other service providers in order to map service networks for referral
- Prepare and send daily/weekly field reports to the Protection Team Leader / Protection Manager , also raise any protection concern or rights violation noticed in the area, according to best practices in term of confidentiality and safety of beneficiaries.
- Daily upload all the protection activities on CommCare system.
- Perform other duties, as required by the supervisor in order to support the protection program .
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Protection Team Leader.
Position directly supervises: N/A.
Indirect Reporting: PRoL Manager.
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC staff
External: IRC guests
- B.A Degree in social work, psychology, law, or other relevant area.
- At least two years’ experience in NGO/INGO.
- Good communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Experience with working with IDPs, returnees and host communities.
- Belief in human rights including gender equality.
- Experience working with people from different backgrounds.
- Fluency in Arabic, good level in English, Kurdish language is prefer.
- good computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and Power point
Working Environment: the position will be based in Sinjar and Baaj with some visit to Mosul.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including maternity leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Attention Returning National Candidates:
IRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff in our programs. We strongly encourage national or returning national candidates to apply for this position. If you are a national of the country in which this position is based and are currently located outside of your home country and possess over two years of international work experience, IRC has introduced an attractive remuneration package. The package includes competitive compensation, return flight to post, shipping allowance, temporary housing and a relocation allowance. Certain restrictions may apply.
Notice to all Job Seekers
IRC implements an equal employment opportunity policy and our recruitment process is based on merit.
Applicants and/or successful interview candidates (both internal and external) are not required to pay any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
If anyone asks you for any financial or non-financial favors to help you secure a job at IRC, kindly report to [email protected].
ملاحظة لكل الباحثين عن وظيفة
تعتمد لجنة الانقاذ الدولية سياسة فرص عمل متساوية وان عملية التوظيف لدينا تعتمد على الجدارة .
لايتوجب على المتقدمين لاي وظيفة او المؤهلين للمقابلات (سواء كانوا موظفيين حالين او متقدمين من خارج المنظمة) دفع اي مبلغ مالي خلال اي مرحلة من مراحل التوظيف.
اذا قام اي شخص بطلب اي خدمة مالية او غير مالية لقاء مساعدتكم في تأمين فرصة عمل داخل المنظمة ،يرجى الابلاغ عن ذلك الى [email protected]