INTERSOS is an international, non-profit, humanitarian organization on the front line of emergencies, bringing assistance to victims of armed conflicts, natural disasters, and extreme exclusion with particular attention to the protection of the most vulnerable people. Since 1992 our humanitarian workers have been helping people affected by humanitarian crises: we provide first aid, food, shelter, medical assistance, and basic goods. We ensure that basic needs, such as education, access to clean water, and health assistance, are met.
Psycho-social Support worker – PSS
Erbil with field visit to the field basis
All INTERSOS employees are expected to perform their roles and responsibilities according to the INTERSOS charter of values, code of ethics, PSEA and Child Protection policies. The job description is mandatory for all positions within INTERSOS and shall be signed by the employee within the first week of employment.
Purpose/objective of the position:
Under the direct supervision of the Psychologist and the technical supervision of the Protection Manager, the PSS worker will be primarily responsible for ensuring the overall implementation of activities to mental health and psychosocial needs in women shelter. They will also provide weekly/monthly reports to the Protection Manager.
- Conduct a variety of structured and unstructured activities (recreational, psycho-social and informal skills training) for beneficiaries, catering to the various psycho-social needs and interests of different beneficiary groups (adults, adolescents, children);
- Prepare for structured psycho-social support activities by carefully reading the PSS SOPs and Curriculum Manuals and preparing all required material and equipment in advance;
- Support community resource persons in the implementation of vocational and skill trainings;
- Facilitate the participation of all segments of the target population in the planned activities ensuring the inclusion of the most vulnerable groups;
- Ensure that during all activities proper attention is paid to specific emotional and physical needs;
- Monitor beneficiaries’ progress during psychosocial support activities and identify persons with unusual changes in behavior or other signs of psychosocial distress for referral to a Case Worker or Psychologist;
- Carry out all tasks respecting key protection principles including but not limited to: do no harm, non-discrimination, confidentiality and accountability;
- Conduct focus group discussions and other participatory activities to engage community members in protection activities and to better understand their needs and interests;
- Conduct an initial assessment with Shelter staff; prepare & implement a tailored induction plan including shadowing, observing and conducting role plays (when needed);
- Ensure adherence of Shelter staff to protection principles, code of conducts and internal SOPs;
- Identify staff gaps and training needs when they arise and communicate them to the Psychologist/ Protection Manager for their action;
- Coordinate with the Psychologist to lead all day-to-day MHPSS activities in the targeted locations;
- Maintain daily attendance registers and monthly inventory sheets for each activity conducted;
- Ensure a safe, friendly and non-discriminatory environment is upheld during all activities;
- Participate in meetings and trainings in and outside the centers’ and/or in INTERSOS offices when requested;
- Ensure weekly activity plans are created and clearly displayed in PSS activity locations;
- Write and submit weekly/monthly reports to the Psychologist and the Protection Manager;
- Manage all requests for information/intervention from the Psychologist and the Protection Manager;
- Ensure dissemination of clear and reliable information on service provision and other pre-selected key topics;
- Any other assignments by Psychologist and Protection Manager.
- Ensure the MHPSS Platform/ databases is updated on an ongoing basis; review entries and highlight any discrepancies to the Psychologist and the Protection Manager;
- Ensure the Referral Database is updated on a weekly basis and submitted to the Psychologist and the Protection Manager;
- Ensure proper storage of sensitive data through a correct use of internal databases;
- Assist the Psychologist and the Protection Manager in planning and delivering capacity building trainings for PSS Workers and PSS volunteers if needed.
- Receive external and internal referrals in line with set criteria and ensure that referring agencies receive timely feedback on actions taken, when necessary and appropriate in light of confidentiality requirements.
- Ensure various reporting tools such as attendance lists, awareness tracking and related case management files are duly filled and filed.
Education and professional experience:
- University Degree in a related field (Social Work, Psychology, etc);
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience
- Previous working experience with host communities, IDPs, refugees and/or returnees;
- Strong knowledge of psycho-social programming in the humanitarian context.
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Good computer literacy (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Good leadership skills
- Confidentiality, respect and non-discriminatory attitude
- Strong technical knowledge in protection and psycho-social support
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to train people, facilitate trainings and build participants’ knowledge and skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good analytical and reporting skills
- Ability to show empathy
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Fluency in Arabic / Kurdish (written and spoken)
- Working knowledge in English (written and spoken)
- Address Erbil
- How to apply INTERSOS is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right for everyone to apply to its vacancies without any discrimination. INTERSOS is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups, and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. For those interested and who meet the required criteria, please apply below. Kindly note that: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to close the vacancy before the mentioned closing date. The preference will be given to qualified candidates from the recruitment area.