General Purpose of the Position:
The Psychologist provides qualified psychosocial support services to internally displaced persons, including genocide survivors, who live in and around Sharya, Semeel district, Duhok, under the supervision of the MHPSS Technical Advisor, and the management of the Project Director and the MHPSS Assistant Director. It is expected from him/her to organise group sessions as well as personal appointment to improve people’s situation.
They work closely with the PD and APD, the MHPSS Technical Advisor.
Main Responsibilities of the Position
A) Consultations and Psychosocial Support Services
- Assess individuals’ needs, abilities or behaviour using different methods such as interviews and direct observation of behaviour
- Provide psychoeducation to service users
- Advise individuals dealing with psychological problems or disorders resulting from trauma and genocide
- Assist in the implementation of the MHPSS project in Sharya, Duhok
- Using appropriate treatment programmes such as therapy, counselling, or advice, in collaboration under the supervision of the MHPSS Technical Advisor.
- Learn and teach technics that may be helpful to patients and colleagues.
- Organises session and/ or awareness sessions for staff, groups of beneficiaries, to improve their global knowledge on psycho-social issues.
- Offer therapy and treatments related to mental health problems such as: anxiety, depression, PTSD, and addiction, social and interpersonal problems and challenging behaviour and report each case to the Project Director at the end of each day.
- Use therapeutic methodologies and interventions, including Cognitive Behavorial Therapy (CBT) and Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET), as well as any other approach’s/techniques learnt from that JRS plans to provide to the psychologists in the future capacity-building plan.
- Intervention: individuals, families, and groups.
- Work in a team that includes a psychiatrist, lead psychologist, psychologists and junior psychologists, medical doctor, secretary, and driver within the broader setting of the JRS Community Centre in Sharya.
B) Seminars and Workshops
According to need and when it becomes possible again, in agreement with the MHPSS Technical Advisor, who creates the guidelines and framework of each seminar:
- Conduct or assist in seminars and workshops to support genocide survivors by raising awareness on mental health issues.
- Organise sessions on Psychological First Aid (PFA) and the recognition of symptoms indicating psychological conditions for JRS staff.
- Provide psychoeducation to patients’ families
- Organise sessions on how to support persons in distress and trauma, or dealing with mental health issues arising from unexpected events;
- Advise on the design and development of psychosocial activities implemented by the JRS Community Centre in Sharya.
C) Recording and Reporting:
- Maintain updated records on cases received in consultation, and on referral and follow-up treatments using Airtable database with due attention to confidentiality.
- Compile and submit weekly and monthly reports to the Project Director as well as the MHPSS Technical Advisor.
- Forward to the MHPSS Technical Advisor any suggestions for project development or recalibration, such as may be undertaken within the limits of JRS’ human and financial resources.
- Identify gaps in PSS (Psychological and Social Support) and mental health care provision in the locations served by the project and report any such to the Projector Director and MHPSS Technical Advisor..
Qualifications, skills, and attributes
- Know JRS code of conduct and put into practice.
- Driven by a spirit of benevolence and teamwork.
- Compassion and commitment for refugees and other displaced persons;
- At least a bachelor’s degree in psychology, preferably in clinical psychology as well as good experience in Cognitive Behavioral therapy.
- Previous experience will be an asset
- Fluent Kurdish (Kurmanji) and Arabic
- Proficiency in written and spoken English will be an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365TM applications, comfortable with Airtable
- Very good communication and reporting skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-awareness, objectivity, a strong desire to help others.
- Active listener.
- High integrity and honesty.
Undertakes any other duties as assigned by the Project Director and / or Technical Advisor that are within the ambit of the position.
- Address Duhok- Sharya
- How to apply Applications are to be sent by email to [email protected], marked Psychologist in the subject line. Both the CV and the cover letter should be in English and are to be sent as word or pdf attachments. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.