Together we can beat poverty for good. Will you join us?
PUBLIC HEALTH PROMOTION OFFICER
Publishing date: – 7th June 2022
Closing date: – 21st June 2022
Vacancy reference: – INT8602
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
To coordinate the implementation of Community Mobilisation and Public Health Promotion activities for internally displaced people, returnees, and host communities in selected sites in Kirkuk Governorate.
|According to Oxfam Iraq Salary Scale|
|Contract type:||Fixed term|
Hours of work:
|. 40 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at interview stage|
|This role reports to:||WASH Team Leader|
|Staff reporting to this post:||N/A|
|Annual budget for the post:||N/A|
|Screening checks:||All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.
|References:||Should you be successful and not already employed by Oxfam GB, we will require minimum of two references covering five years of employment history.|
|DBS checks (for roles based in the UK):
It is a requirement in the UK for a new DBS check at enhanced level for every new member of staff who works directly with, or has regular contact with, children or vulnerable adults in the UK (consistent with DBS guidance and relevant law).
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Line-manage designated staff as required and provide support to recruitment, training and supervision of area public health promotion staff. This may involve writing work schedules, training plans, performance objective setting and appraisals
- Ensure that all designated PHP staff are aware of and abide with key internal and external protocols and principles (e.g. Red Cross Code of Conduct, People in Aid, Oxfam’s Code of Conduct).
- Carry out initial and ongoing assessments of the public health (WaSH) needs of the affected population and analyse the threats to their life, public health and dignity. As part of the process, assess the plans and capacity of other actors to respond. Assessments ranging from market assessments to village level and identification of priorities communicated in technical forums, WaSH and humanitarian coordination meetings.
- Make clear recommendations for public health promotion and mobilisation initiatives that are appropriate for the social, cultural and geographical context and ensure that they are consistent with Oxfam’s policies and guidelines. This will include the development of a communication strategy that reflects the priority WASH related risks and ensures effective use and maintenance of any facilities or services provided.
- Work closely with engineering colleagues (PHEs) to design, implement and monitor Oxfam’s water, sanitation and hygiene promotion (WASH) interventions ensuring that affected communities are involved at all stages of the programme cycle.
- Develop, co-ordinate, implement and monitor WASH community mobilisation activities including identifying and training community mobilisers or community facilitators, whose role will be to work directly with IDPs, returnees and host communities groups in designing, implementing and monitoring WASH activities.
- Develop and deliver training in small project management for community groups and ensure that they are supported with appropriate advice and support (including technical, planning, implementation, monitoring, management, training and networking).
- In close collaboration with the Protection Team ensure that the community leaders and mobilisers support community groups to understand Oxfam’s safeguarding polices and complaints mechanisms.
- Identify and address any problems or delays in carrying out community projects.
- Provide support to local partners and build their capacity in PHP and community mobilisation where appropriate, including their capacity to ensure the safe and effective provision of relief terms without coercion (using CTP or in-kind distribution where necessary).
- In collaboration with the other teams, ensure that the target population have access to non-food items/hygiene kits through either distributions or the use of vouchers and that post distribution monitoring is carried out.
- Develop with the WaSH and MEAL teams the monitoring and evaluation tools (e.g. post distribution monitoring surveys, base and end line surveys, and water user surveys) and implement them in a timely and systematic fashion.
- In conjunction with the EFSVL, Cash and Voucher teams examine the possible options for multi sector assistance either through cash or voucher-based interventions (for hygiene kits, shelter, latrine, bathing materials and water).
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues. In particular, promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work and ensure that Oxfam’s Programme is an opportunity for peace making, rather than community division.
- Advocate and work with facilitators, leaders and community members to ensure the involvement of the poorest and the most marginalised members of the community, especially women, children, the elderly and people with disabilities in programme identification, design and implementation and monitoring.
- Ensure that interventions strive to conform to SPHERE standards and adhere to OGB’s guidelines and protocols as well as the National Iraqi WASH Cluster standards.
- Ensure that the programme is accountable to beneficiaries through promoting their participation, providing them with information about programme activities and ensuring that beneficiary feedback is used effectively to adapt the programme.
- Collaborate with Emergency Food Security and Livelihoods (EFSL) colleagues where appropriate to ensure that EFSL and WASH interventions are integrated and presented in a coherent way to emergency affected communities
Programme monitoring and reporting:
- Contribute to the effective monitoring of WASH activities, ensuring that data is reported and disseminated appropriately. Coordinate with health providers to ensure that epidemiological data is made available to monitor disease trends
- Provide regular reports using OGB reporting formats at agreed intervals. A final report will be required at the end of the deployment.
Co-ordination and Representation
- Represent Oxfam at WASH coordination or technical working group meetings in the area of operation
- Contribute to the discussions at the Cluster/Sector/TWIG level to ensure quality standards, consistent; and strategic methodologies are implemented in the WASH programmes
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- A suitable qualification in a social science, environmental or public health related discipline and at least relevant experience. Experience can substitute for qualifications but not vice versa.
- Ability to think analytically and strategically
- Confident representing Oxfam in field inter-agency coordination forums
- Strong communication and negotiation skills and the ability to influence and inspire confidence in others in diverse working environments.
- Project management skills/experience desirable.
- A good understanding of Middle East context and cultures.
- Practical understanding of public health issues for displaced communities and sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations.
- Comfortable engaging in dialogue with a wide range of people including communities, local partners, government officials and INGOs.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating EFSL, gender, protection and diversity issues in Public Health Promotion Programme activities.
- Assessment, analytical and planning skills.
- Good verbal and written reporting skills.
- Strong capacity building/counterpart development skills.
- Personnel management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Ability to travel and to work in difficult circumstances.
- Good written and spoken English is essential. Understanding of local languages will be an advantage.
Behavioural competencies (based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
|Practice Category||Leadership Practice||Description|
|Self||Self-Awareness||We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviours to control and channel our impulses for good purposes. We self-moderate appropriately to different context thereby optimizing our ability to achieve goals.|
|Humility||We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organisation. We work to achieve goals together not just individually.|
|Seeing the ‘big picture’||Vision Setting||We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organisation and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organisation and diverse external stakeholders. Clarity in our communication of vision allows others to focus on delivery and their contribution to the wider changes we seek.|
|Systems Thinking||We view problems as parts of an overall system and our contributions to change in relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage intended and unintended consequences of organisational decisions and actions.|
|Strategic Thinking and Judgment||We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organisational strategies and values|
|Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity||We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways. We develop strategies to maximise adaptability and agility, encourage forward thinking, new ideas and learning from experience.|
|Listening||We are good active listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.|
|Influencing||We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.|
|Relationship Building||We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organisation. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.|
|We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organisations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.|
|Ability to Deliver results||Mutual Accountability||We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organisational values. We are ready to be held to account for our actions and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.|
|Decisiveness||We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision-making modes to the context and needs. We recognize that decisions may not always lead to the results we seek but enable us to continually learn and improve.|
Your commitment to Oxfam
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
how to find out more about us
- Find out more about our pay & benefits here. Get a feel of what it is like to work at Oxfam here.
- Look at our ‘How to apply’ section for helpful tips here.
- Technical glitch? If you have any issues when submitting your application, please contact [email protected]
- We are unable to accept prospective applications, but you can sign up for our job alerts here
- External applicants: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk, Internal applicants: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/internal
- Find out about everything we do here.
Oxfam GB is a Disability Confident Employer. Should you be unable to submit your application online and would prefer an alternative method please contact our recruitment team.
OXFAM LEADERSHIP COMPETENCY FRAMEWORK
|Decisiveness||We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.|
|Influencing||We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization. We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.|
|Humility||We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.|
|Relationship Building||We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.|
|Listening||We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thought and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.|
|Mutual Accountability||We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.|
|Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity||We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.|
|Systems Thinking||We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.|
|Strategic Thinking and Judgment||We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.|
|Vision Setting||We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.|
|Self-Awareness||We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.|
|We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.|
- Address Iraq Kirkuk
- Salary Offer As per Oxfam salary scale USD As per Oxfam salary scale Month
- How to apply OXFAM is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation. TO APPLY: As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile. For more details about this consultancy, please visit the job advert using below link: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/public-health-promotion-officer---kirkuk-int8602/17368/description/ Application only should be WORD-PDF format. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. About us Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy a life free from poverty. Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
- Job Reference INT8602