Reporting to: hierarchical link to Security Manager and Head of Mission (HoM), technically to Logistics Coordinator
Directly Supervising: 4 area focal points on all field security aspects and reporting
The National Safety and Security Officer will work to reduce the risks posed to the programs, personnel and assets of INTERSOS in Iraq. The role will support the Security Manager in managing all aspects of Safety and Security whilst providing advice and coordination to all INTERSOS staff and visitors. The National Safety and Security Officer will work closely with INTERSOS personnel in Iraq to ensure Safety and Security compliance, make recommendations and manage the integration of safety and security in programme implementation. S/he will facilitate the implementation of INTERSOS Risk Management Policy within the country and ensuring country compliance with safety and security will also minimum standards.
Area of activity: KRI and IRAQ.
- Establishes and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, UN and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information. Liaison & co-ordination with Police, Security forces & other stakeholders
- Under the supervision of the Security Manager, trains and supervises 4 field security focal points ( KRI, Ninewa, SAD and Bagdad), into a fast and reactive security network
- Provides INTERSOS Iraq mission with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through: daily incident alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- In close cooperation with Security Manager and under the authority of HoM, conducts security risk assessments and risk analysis and advice the HoM on security measures for INTERSOS offices, project activities and staff.
- Assists Security Manager and Logistics Coordinator in developing and reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Conducts context, situational and risk analysis on assigned locations prior to deployment.
- Based on the country Risk management policies, ensure the team is fully equipped for the mission.
- Conduct pre-deployment trainings/briefings to all team members prior to each field mission.
- Implement and monitor staff movement and tracking systems while maintaining operational security. Identify areas of Security Management requiring external support
- Provides assistance to the Security Manager and HoM in the implementation of Iraq risk management plan. This can include the updating of the country specific risk management policies, security tree and other relevant security management tools, such as the evacuation/hibernation plan.
- Provides substantive support to the Security Manager in pro-acting collecting and updating security related information, relevant to INTERSOS, general on INGOs and planned/implemented activities and clearly communicating them to the HoM and relevant programme staff and Project Managers
- Provides assistance in the conduct and follow up of investigations and incidents affecting INTERSOS staffs and offices: help to prepare staff to prepare incident reports and forward to HoM.
- Represent INTERSOS at security meetings, forums as appropriate.
- Coordinate and liaise with JCCC, ISF and other local authorities to obtain/renew/update all permits for accessing program locations for national and international Intersos staff;
- Coordinate and liaise with Asayesh to guarantee effective flow of communication/information on the INTERSOS operations
- In coordination with liaison officers, guarantee that all relevant staff has valid permits to operate in the program location such JCC and JCMC documentations for transportation of staff and goods and visa activation
- Daily checks security and safety road conditions before giving security clearance for next day movement to HoM
- Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the Security manager, Logistics coordinator or HoM.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- Fluency in English (written and spoken), Arabic and Kurdish
- Excellent knowledge of Iraqi security context
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Technical expertise in security management required.
- Solid understanding and experience in crisis/incident management and working in complex emergencies.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- English writing and proven analytical abilities (proven written/published sample requested).
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles and their application.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Employment history that reflects experience in both security and civilian fields.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- All employees of INTERSOS should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values.
- Address Ninewa
- How to apply For application, please click on "APPLY NOW". Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format. INTERSOS is reviewing application on a rolling basis, the vacancy might be filled before the closing date.