Oxfam is a global movement of people who won’t live with the injustice of poverty. Together we save and rebuild lives in disasters. We help people build better lives for themselves. We speak out on the big issues that keep people poor, like inequality, discrimination against women and climate change. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can live without poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
Assistance that meets humanitarian needs and reduces underlying drivers of conflict at all levels.
Delivering media and communications products that will raise the profile of Oxfam and partners’ programmes and strategic advocacy objectives to local, regional and international markets.
|Location:||Erbil with frequent travel to other field offices|
|As per Oxfam Salary Scale
|Contract type:||Fixed Term|
Hours of work:
|. 40 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at interview stage|
|This role reports to:||Media and Communications Advisor|
|Staff reporting to this post:||Yes|
|Annual budget for the post:|
|Key relationships/interactions:||Field & Country Office HR Teams, Programme Managers and, Country Office Managers and Teams.|
|DBS checks (for roles based in the UK):||N/A.|
|Screening checks:||All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.|
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Produce high-quality written and multimedia materials, including press releases, blogs, case studies, photographs and videos, and internal newsletters.
- Produce materials for online and social media use and improve Oxfam’s engagement with wider online audiences through effective management and monitoring of Oxfam in Iraq’s social media channels.
- Work with local media in Iraq and regional Arabic media to proactively generate coverage of Oxfam’s programs and strategic advocacy objectives.
- Provide strategic communications input into proposals, donor reports, program requirements and produce relevant communications materials to meet donor requirements, increase program impact, and help bring change, and ensure links between our programs and advocacy work. This will involve adapting complex policy and development issues for different target audiences.
- Support engagement with international media to raise global awareness of the situation for people in Iraq, including developing news and feature stories, organizing trips and briefings, and documenting evidence-based information.
- Support local partner organizations to develop high-impact media and communications strategies and products, including stories, case studies, audio-visual material, and press releases.
- Create and maintain a high-quality photo gallery and communication and media archive for Oxfam work in Iraq.
- Build the capacity of Oxfam staff and partner organizations to produce high-quality media and communications products and carry out media interviews.
- ensure the media and communication materials produced internally or by our partners are within Oxfam’s communications, visibility, and sign-off guidelines
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Oxfam in Iraq’s communications and media strategy.
- Identify new communications platforms, ideas, and opportunities.
- Frequent travel to field offices. The field trips’ duration will be assigned based on assignment timelines and per guidance from the Policy and Advocacy and Communications Manager and other relevant senior management within the communications team.
- Support media and communications work around emergencies in Iraq.
- Act as a spokesperson for Oxfam in media interviews as required and brief other staff ahead of interviews and public events.
- Build relationships with media/comms colleagues in other organizations (e.g. NGOs, UN agencies, civil society) to coordinate and collaborate on projects.
- Provide regular analysis of Iraqi media coverage and outlets.
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Media, Communications, Journalism, or any other relevant fields, with 3-5 years of experience.
- Ability to independently produce quality media and communication materials (press releases, case studies, video, photos, audio) that can be used by various sources (media, internal and external reporting).
- Experience working closely with program teams, technical experts, partners, and management to provide sound communications advice.
- Decision-making and problem-solving on complex issues requiring creative thinking to find the best solutions and drawing on information from a variety of sources to inform decision-making.
- Manages own workload with little supervision and works independently on making decisions and problem solving routine issues/problems.
- Ability to transcribe and timecode video interviews from Arabic to English
- Fluency in both English and Arabic
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Arabic and English.
- Knowledge of local, regional and international mass media.
- Experience in producing high-quality written and audio-visual materials, including experience using relevant editing software.
- Professional communications skills gained within a journalism/PR environment to communicate and adapt complex policy and development issues to different levels of the target audience.
- Excellent networking and negotiation skills to develop good working relationships within Oxfam and with the media.
- Ability to think and operate strategically and creatively.
- Skilled in an integrated approach to advocacy that includes lobbying and public campaigning.
- Understanding of gender issues and commitment to promoting gender equity.
- Experience in producing content for and operating social media channels on multiple platforms, and the ability to analyse the effectiveness of social media posts
- Proven experience in using Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrable ability to organize, plan and prioritize work to achieve results.
- Flexibility, ability to work independently and under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Fluency Kurdish an advantage but not essential
- Previous experience in producing content for social media
- Expertise with advanced design software
- Experience with humanitarian procurement processes
- Salary Offer As per Oxfam Salary Scale USD As per Oxfam Salary Scale Month
- How to apply As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
- Job Reference INT8634– Senior MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER