Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Project Assistant (TRD)
Organizational Unit : Transition and Recovery Division
Duty Station : (Dohuk – 1 position), (Mosul – 1 Position), (Kirkuk – 1 Position), (Sulaymaniyah – 1 Position) – Iraq
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G7
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term contract (SST)
Duration of Appointment : Six (6) months with possibility of extension
Closing Date : 05th February 2023
Reference Code : SVN2023/IRQ/012
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Aapplications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged as well as the Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM)/DCoM, the overall supervision of the Head of the Transition and Recovery Division ,the administrative supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (TRD) and in close coordination with National Operations Officer and Field Operations Officer, the position will be responsible for assisting programs related to reintegration under the area of responsibility as below:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- 1. Coordinate the implementation of all operational activities under the Transition and
Recovery Division (TRD) within the area of responsibility ;
- 2. Work in close coordination with the Regional Technical Advisors (RTAs) in the respective region and related staff to ensure proper implementation of assigned activities and integrate new activities and processes related to Livelihoods, Infrastructure and Community Engagement;
- 3. Lead efforts in the selection of communities, assessments, and development and finalization of IOM Implementation Plans in close coordination with the team members, Thematic Leads and Regional Coordinators;
- 4. Based on agreed processes and using common tools, manage and support the team with the identification and prioritization of beneficiaries for all TRD operational activities;
- 5. Assist in the review and endorsement of the cases submitted to the TRD North East Line
Management for final approval;
- 6. Regularly communicate issues to the Regional Coordinator to be addressed immediately
and conduct validation visits for random samples of different activities and ensure tracking of payments;
- 7. Work in close coordination with Information Management Assistants and TRD field team in the respective governorate to ensure accurate and timely entry of data in the MIS system on a bi-weekly basis;
- 8. Provide a comprehensive narrative on operational activities and challenges using the reporting tool on a bi-weekly basis and send to the Regional Coordinator for clarification and validation;
- 9. Fulfil all assigned responsibilities for Monitoring and Evaluation, using M&E tools for data collection purposes to ensure that implementation is being carried out effectively and in accordance with TRD guidelines;
- 10. Fulfill the functions of direct supervisor for the members of the field team and monitor the progress of team’s work by relaying timely updates to the Regional Coordinator based on work plans;
- 11. Coordinate with the regional administrative focal point to ensure that payments and deliveries are occurring on time;
- 12. Monitor work of the members of the team within the Area of Responsibility to identify bottlenecks, provide technical guidance and orientation according to IOM standard operating procedures and TRD’s technical procedures;
- 13. Maintain healthy and trusted work environment between team members and support
career development of the team members through continual coaching combined with transparent unbiased evaluation with aim to develop individuals;
- 14. Participate in internal coordination meetings within the area of responsibility, including those meetings organized by the Head of Sub Office, Thematic Leads and/or Regional Coordinator;
- 15. In coordination with the Regional Coordinator, NOO and FOO, attend and participate in meetings with external partners (U.N., INGO, NNGO) and support the Regional Coordinator, NOO and FOO in the promotion of partnerships and synergies with other external actors within the area of responsibility;
- 16. In coordination with the Head of Sub Office and relevant management, ensure good
coordination with relevant local authorities and governments in relation to the implementation of TRD activities;
- 17. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by Regional Coordinator
- University degree in social sciences, engineering or related filed from accredited academic institution with 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Completed High School degree from accredited academic institution with 7 years relevant professional experience.
- Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Positive, constructive attitude.
- Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a
- minimum of comfort. Skills
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty.
- Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- English, Kurdish and Arabic are required.
- Any other language is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies: Values
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
IOM IN/234 – Policy and Procedures for Preventing and Responding to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse IOM has a policy of zero tolerance of sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) by IOM staff members and the employees or any other persons engaged and controlled by IOM Contractors. The staff members and all contract type holders shall protect against and prevent sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
While this vacancy is open to both Internals and Externals, priority shall be given to qualified Internal applicants.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via a link:
For an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 22.01.2023 to 05.02.2023