Senior Project Officer – Ninewa
Ninewa and Diyala
|Global, Fixed Term – 6 months, contract renewable|
|This role reports to:||Area Manager NW|
Staff reporting to this post:
|Protection Officer, Advocacy Officer|
|Annual budget for the post:||Approximately less than 1 million USD|
Oxfam’s programme has been established in 2014 in response to the ISIS conflict in Iraq. Oxfam implemented activities during the past few years was built around the delivery of 3 main areas: A) Lifesaving humanitarian assistance b) Recovery assistance, and C) Promotion of Women Rights.
- Lifesaving humanitarian assistance: to newly displaced populations residing in camps or host communities. The bulk of this work was done around the Mosul Operation with activities implemented in the governorates of Erbil, Salah Al Din, Anbar, Diyala and Ninewa. Activities included: Establishment/rehabilitation of safe water (boreholes, repair of infrastructure); Emergency water supply (distribution of water through trucking and bottled water); Setting up water tanks and networks in camps; Distribution of hygiene items; construction of latrines; Multi-purpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), Cash for Work opportunities inside the camps to allow construction work and solid waste management; and Distribution of emergency winterisation kits.
- Recovery assistance: to returnees, local host communities and IDPs to recover from the post-conflict and to cope with protracted displacement. The main activities implemented under these areas of work include: Rehabilitation of water infrastructure; Supporting local authorities to rehabilitate essential public services (schools and hospitals); Grants to returnees to recover damaged businesses; Provision of livestock to support farmers; Cash for Work opportunities contributing to income for vulnerable families and supporting rehabilitation of infrastructure of public interest (irrigation canals, main roads).
- Promotion of Women Rights: through contributing to the implementation of the National Plan for 1325 UN Resolution, and economic empowerment of women through provision of training and grants to establish/rehabilitate businesses.
In order to serve these three objectives, Oxfam work aimed to integrate the following key sectors together for every intervention in a given location:
- Water Sanitation and Hygiene
- Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods
- Non-food-Items and Shelter
- Protection of lives and rights of civilians
- Gender Justice
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Advocacy and Media work
The Senior Project Officer position will lead on and is accountable for all the project implementation and coordination aspects of GIZ Takhateb Project Cost Extension. As a key role within the Oxfam Iraq Country program, the position will be based in Mosul. He/she will lead on effective management and relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders at local level, especially with the government line departments, manage the project activities throughout the project cycle, including budget management (expenditure planning and expenditure monitoring), directly lead in preparing and developing high-quality project plans, including Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) and procurement plans, progress and donor reports, ensure appropriate monitoring and project quality, and enhance internal and external learning and representation.
Project Delivery and Coordination
- Work closely with relevant government departments, specially Ninewa and Diyala Governorate, in overall implementation of project activities. This will include regular meetings with line departments to agree on work plans, technical assessments, and establishing cooperation relations.
- Maintain good working relationships with relevant government departments, private sector actors, and other key project stakeholders and ensure Oxfam interest is presented at all level.
- Take overall project management leadership and responsible to carry out implementation of project activities within approved project plans, budget, and duration.
- Provide project management and operational support to project team to run the project activities effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure project deliverables are achieved as stipulated in project design maintaining the Oxfam’s program quality standards and expectation of relevant stakeholders.
- Worked closely with the technical team to clearly define the project scope of work (SoW) and further translation of SoW into detailed implementation plan with regular review to ensure project scope remains relevant to contextual changes.
- Develop overall project documents including detailed implementation plans, budget and spending plans, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) plans, procurement plans and ensure the implementation of these plans.
- Keep tracking of project progress against approved implementation plan and update management about progress, bottlenecks causing delays in delivery, challenges encountered and suggested solutions.
- Conduct detail review of BvA on regularly basis and advise on budget and implementation plans’ adjustment accordingly.
- Participate and represent Oxfam in monthly and quarterly area coordination meetings, including Area Based Coordination (ABCs) meetings at Ninewa level.
- Work with MEAL team for monitoring and evaluating the project regularly, ensuring community participation as appropriate, as well as accountability towards communities;
- Develop project progress reports for the donor in collaboration with project staff, technical coordinators, funding coordinator and support teams. Ensure narrative reporting meet Oxfam and donor’s requirements;
- Ensure that budgets are drawn up for all activities, and that activities costs are kept within budgets.
- Prepare monthly situation reports (financial and narrative) to update management on program progress achieved, program plans, changes in direction and challenges encountered.
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- A minimum Masters/postgraduate university degree in business management, sustainable
development, economics, development studies, peace and conflict studies or related field;
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience in the design, implementation and management of similar post-conflict recovery and stabilization projects and activities;
- Proven experience in applying results-based management;
- Experience in protection and Advocacy related projects.
- Demonstrable understanding of the gender dynamics of protection work, and ability to capture this in the analysis and design of protection activities, with a strong emphasis on the gendered aspects of conflict, violence and abuse
- Strong ability to be flexible and adaptable in times of unexpected challenges and provide creative solutions, whilst maintaining the ethos and objectives of the work at all times;
- Evidence of project cycle management experience, including strategic planning, budgeting, reporting, monitoring & evaluation;
- Strong ability to work with diverse groups/individuals –ranging from local partners, local authorities, local community groups, the humanitarian community and the private sector;
- Proven ability in staff management, donor contracting compliance & budget management;
- Proven experience managing and working with a diverse team, to achieve results in a timely
- Proficiency in English and Arabic language (written and spoken) is required.
- Experience in building the capacity of the team internally and of external stakeholders;
- Experience in working and jointly implementing projects involving local authorities and/or organizations as implementing partners.
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiation skills;
- Good interpersonal, influencing and communication skills;
- Proven team leadership and ability to work independently as required;
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts;
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
At Oxfam, our job descriptions provide a guide to what might be expected in the role. Along with our strategy, the job profile is used to help to shape specific objectives for employees. Employees are supported to deliver these objectives and they are annually assessed against them as part of the Oxfam performance review process. This job profile is not incorporated into the employment contract.
- Salary Offer As per Oxfam Salary Scale USD As per Oxfam Salary Scale Month
- How to apply As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and Cover Letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
- Job Reference Senior Project Officer (INT10021)