Shelter and Settlement Assistant
Anbar – Falluja
The overall purpose of the role
Under the supervision of the Shelter and Settlement TL, the overall role of the Hygiene Promoter – Shelter and Settlement Assistant will be:
- Promote safe personal Hygiene practices, including appropriate use of hygiene facilities and services.
- Harmonize the implementation of project activities for (camps IDPs) and informal settlements ensuring good collaboration and networking with other partners.
- Help plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies, periodic studies, and feedback findings to stakeholders.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential hygiene promotion activities.
- Coordinate with shelter, water supply, and sanitation field staff to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH & Shelter response are integrated.
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector and between sectors such as health and shelter.
- Suggests innovative/creative methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities that meet the needs of the beneficiaries.
Promote, monitor, survey, and assess the Hygiene Promotion targets in the assigned area and group level through daily field visits and conduct hygiene promotion sessions at the field level.
- Arrange thematic focus group discussions, consultations, awareness, and hygiene promotion sessions.
- Conduct hygiene promotion sessions within communities, schools, community centers, health centers, households, and distribution points.
- Participate in the identification of beneficiaries for the WASH activities (solid waste management, drainage improvement, water supply rehabilitation, distribution of hygiene kits etc.) and support the Shelter activities if requested.
- Identify the most appropriate message regarding the target population, and work on it, and animate focus group, giving clear message on good hygiene practice.
- Evaluate the necessary material needed for a session/activity.
- Improve the IEC materials infographics, (such as flipcharts, flyers, leaflets, brochures, social media posts, posters, billboards, or murals…etc.) to meet the community needs and DRC standards.
- Train, lead, and manage the hygiene promotion daily workers.
- Promote Hygiene to children to help them acquire safer hygiene behaviors.
- Participate in hygiene campaigns, doing shows in schools and at the community level.
- Act as a link between the organization and the community/beneficiaries.
- Ensure all work is carried out as per the community needs and project standards.
- Forging relationships with key people in the community, stakeholders, and community leaders to ensure proper implementation.
- Regular meetings with the supervisor and other team members to communicate new technical topics.
- Report any incidences related to the protection of IDPs, host-communities, and other vulnerable groups to the management.
- Prepare and follow up Procurement Requests forms for all materials or services needed to allow proper continuation of the works.
- Provide daily updates to the Shelter and Settlement TL and contribute to regular reports on progress and activities.
- Be the focal point with the M&E team to make sure that PDM and satisfaction surveys are conducted on a timely and good-quality basis.
- Support, facilitate, or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners, and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation.
- Ensure regular and timely reporting of problems, potential delays, or risks to project implementation to the relevant supervisor, and support in the development and execution of solutions and mitigating actions.
- Contribute to refining data collection, monitoring, and reporting tools, and to the harmonization of hygiene promotion methodologies and tools across the area(s) of operation.
- Contribute to integrated programming within DRC Protection and CCCM.
- Support with the preparation and filing of Payment Requests, contracts timesheets of the daily workers, and other project-related documentation, as requested by Line Manager.
- Ensure the respect of DRC Code of Conduct and DRC’s zero-tolerance policy of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA), humanitarian principles and contribute to the integration of Protection and Age, Gender, and Diversity (AGD) mainstreaming into DRC programming. Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager.
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Significant proven work experience in public health engineering and previous INGO.
- Education BEng level in Civil engineering, Water Engineering, Biological, or public health Education
- At least 1-year of experience in hygiene promotion activities with proven experience in specific HP activities including FGDs, awareness sessions with a range of ages, genders, backgrounds, and mass awareness campaigns.
- Proficiency in the following computer programs: MS Excel, and MS Word is essential, and MS Publisher and other graphic design is an added value.
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and frequently travel to project sites when needed.
- Willingness and capacity to work outside regular working days (national holidays or extra hours) in case of emergency response.
- Ability to work sensitively with vulnerable people, taking into account gender, age, and diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team to achieve joint objectives, in a multicultural context.
- Ability to act calmly in tense situations, handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and act with transparency and integrity.
- Solution-oriented approach, with strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to organize and manage information, plan, and manage workload, prioritize, and deliver to deadlines.
- Familiarity with international humanitarian and protection standards and principles.
- Education BEng level Engineering, Water Engineering, Medical, Biological, Environmental, or public health Education (university degree); significant proven field experience may be accepted in lieu.
- Written English is essential. Spoken, and written Arabic are required.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment.
Contract Length: 5 Months
Salary Band: I
Start Date: 1st June 2023
Closing date for applications: 16th of May 2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Diversity & Inclusion: DRC Iraq is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment according to our Age, Gender, and Diversity approach (AGD). We aim to have a more diversified leadership structure creating opportunities for qualified women to take on managerial roles. We also continuously work to make our workplace more accessible for persons with specific needs. We offer benefits related to psychosocial support, health insurance, maternity and paternity leave, child sick leave, and lactation breaks. As part of our commitment to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates, persons living with disabilities, as well as representatives of minorities.
Note: Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
Danish Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!