The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
Under the supervision of the Civil Society Project Manager, the Civil Society Team Leader will ensure:
- The effective implementation of DRC’s Civil Society services in the assigned area of operation.
- The Team Leader is responsible for ensuring excellent organization and coordination of the civil society activities under his/her supervision implemented by DRC Staff.
- He /She will provide technical and organizational support for Civil Society Officers who will supervise Civil Society Assistants through daily guidance, coordination, capacity-building, follow-up, monitoring and reporting.
- Contributing to the designing of strategies and tools for the implementation of civil society programming in the area of operation
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation, and follow up of all technical aspects of the program
- Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, civil society and government stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s activities society actors in the area of operations
Programming & Operations
- Technically assist the project team in delivering high quality outputs as per guidance from the Civil Society Program Manager, and ensure that staff adhere to best-practices and professional standards and principles through capacity-building and on-the-job coaching.
- Quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according standard
- Monitor program as per expected outputs and outcomes
- Monitor financial spending and budgets
- Write donor and management reports
- Ensure correct filing and updating of project documentation and compliance with donor regulations
- Lead on coordination and collaboration with other DRC programs implementing in the area
- Identify technical gaps in the activities and identify/implement solutions to address these gaps.
Coordination and representation
- Share relevant project information with stakeholders
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Develop projects tools, in collaboration with the Civil Society Project Manager and Specialist
- Project implementation and reporting
- Support with monitor and evaluation of projects
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
- Reporting to: Civil Society Project Manager
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Previous experience with humanitarian and civil society organizations
- Previous experience in programs focusing on civil society empowerment and governance is a must\
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment with different stakeholders
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed.
- Ability to work sensitively with different community members, taking into account gender, age and diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team to achieve joint objectives, in a multicultural context.
- Ability to act calmly in tense situations, handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and act with transparency and integrity.
- Solution-oriented approach, with strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Detail oriented, with ability to organize and manage information, plan and manage workload, prioritize, and deliver to deadlines
- Familiarity/prior experience with DRC and its persons of concern would be a distinct advantage; excellent knowledge and understanding of local communities and customary rules;
- Full respect for client/organization confidentiality;
- Excellent writing, reporting, and analytical skills;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills as well as communication
- Self-motivation, goal/result-orientation and team work;
- Flexibility, creativeness, tolerance and maturity;
- Punctuality and respect for applicable rules and procedures;
- Computer/IT literacy (OS Windows, MS (Word, Excel in particular and PowerPoint) Internet etc.)
- University degree or equivalent professional qualification
- Fluency in Arabic
- Fluency in English
- Livelihoods coordinator
- Livelihood Project Manager
- Civil Soceity Team
- Livelihood, Protetion,Shelter & infrastructure Team
- Supply Chain, Finance, Support Teams
- CSO’s Networks, and partneres
- Media and Advocy partner
- Governmental institutions, social security
- Other NGOs operating in the geographical area
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Band: G- management
Designation of Duty Station: Tikrit (include frequency of travel to Baiji, Sinniya)
Start date: As soon as possible
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 19-January-2021
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
- Address Tikrit