This is very responsible administrative and technical librarian work involving the supervision of library technical and circulation services.
Work involves the responsibility for supervising the library’s technical services staff, the circulation staff, coordinating with other library services and directing library automation activities. Duties include providing reference and reader’s service work, special projects, materials selection, database management, and training staff.
This position is also invested with making the most difficult technical decisions involving the creation, use and management of machine-readable bibliographic records according to nationally accepted technical standards. The work requires that the employee have considerable knowledge, skill and ability in every phase of the public library field, particularly as it relates to library automation and technical services.
This position will report directly to the Director of Libraries.
Abilities and responsibilities of the incumbent:
- Thorough knowledge of contemporary bibliographic maintenance standards and practice, including AACR2 cataloging rules, DDC and LC classification systems, LC subject headings, and OCLC/MARC records management.
- Working knowledge of Resource Description and Access (RDA).
- Considerable ability to learn and administer the bibliographic maintenance function of the LSP (OCLC WMS).
- Coordinates with AUIB IT the maintenance and upgrading of the LSP (OCLC WMS).
- Acts as AUIB contact for AMICAL’s OCLC Respond suite of services.
- Leads the research and cataloging team to set and implement modern cataloging practices that will enhance learning and research among the AUIB community.
- Serves as library liaison to academic departments and interacts with faculty members to support research and project needs of faculty and students.
- Directs and coordinates the establishment of the Digital Institutional Repository and archives for AUIB.
- In collaboration with the Director of Libraries, provides short- and long-range plans for the enhancement of study and research at AUIB.
- Identifies, pulls, and organizes relevant Open Access e-books and assists towards the adoption of free peer-reviewed electronic textbooks.
- Promotes the use of Open Access and Open Educational resources among members of the AUIB community.
- Periodically verifies the functionality of links to digital resources.
- Compiles bibliographies, simple indexes, pathfinders, guides, and other devices that will aid in locating items from print and electronic collections.
- Maintains and analyzes statistics of the activities of the Technical Services area.
- Participates in Information Literacy classes, outreach programs, and work shifts,when the need arises.
- Performs all other duties assigned by the Director of Libraries.
Requirements for the position:
- Master’s degree in Library Science or Information Science preferably from an ALA- accredited program.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in the Technical Services area at an academic library.
- Ability to articulate a vision for Technical Services at AUIB Library.
- At least one year of supervisory or management experience preferred.
- Considerable ability in oral and written communication in English.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, students, staff, officials of other institutions, and the general public.
- Flexible enough to adapt to changing circumstances at the workplace.
- Demonstrated good knowledge of information communication technology in reaching out to library patrons.
- Demonstrated team building skills including the ability to motivate, develop, and mentor others.
- Positive human relations skills.
- Evidence of initiative and resourcefulness.
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the requirements of the position, a curriculum vita, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please send your application and supporting documents to the following email address: [email protected].