Open to: Locals & Expats
Client: International Tobacco Factory
To manage and develop the SMD Department to deliver excellent quality products in line with SOP forecast, satisfying all necessary set parameters such as quality, cost, productivity & waste, whilst fostering a culture of continuous improvement in all aspects of the department specifically, people, products, processes, systems and machinery.
To ensure that all technical systems on both the production line and infrastructure within the factory premises are operated and maintained to the highest quality and safety standards in a manner that meets all requirements at required quantity.
The incumbent will manage all activities of the Engineering sub-departments (mechanical, electrical and IMW) to meet operational and customer service targets. To achieve this, manager should be expected to utilize the available sources in the most cost-effective way and in line with company policy, safety, and other performance standards.
- Manufacture cigarettes to satisfy Supply Chain demand, ensuring that Production target in terms of volume, quality, Productivities, and wastage parameters are met
- Ensure that a robust maintenance system is design and deployed within the department
- Ensures that SMD conversion cost is constantly monitored, and action taken to bring it under control
- Ensure effective deployment of all resources such that manufacturing activities in SMD is carried out within approved budget limits
- Ensure that working environment is accident free and operations are carried out in line with BAT EHS standards
- Ensure all daily reports of performance at the Shopfloor and Shift-log are filled accurately by shift and on daily basis and that this information is made available for all management staff that may require them for information and decision taken.
- Hold the responsibility for maintenance activities and ensure that the related departments are operating in line with the set objectives.
- Carry out the planning, control and coordination of all the works of the factory falling into the area of responsibility of the Engineering Sub Departments to satisfy the Secondary production needs.
- Encourage any technological developments to be pursued and their feasibility to be researched and ensure that such developments shall be transferred to the working environment as much as possible.
- Coordinate with all involved stakeholders; internal and external, as well as international Companies
- Ensure that the electrical and electronics service, heating and cooling installations, compressed air and vacuum plants, humidification system and security and safety systems are always available and most productively operate.
- Ensure that the company’s utility machinery and equipment and properties are protected.
- Ensure that the calibration schedule for utility gages is carried out in a timely fashion.
- Ensure Technical Department is taking corrective actions to always comply to all legislations.
- Act in compliance with the Job Safety, Personnel and other regulations governing the Company related to Engineering Department activities.
- Prepare and manage factory budget, ensure all spend is within the agreed budget and constantly monitored.
- Appraise staff, identify skill deficiencies and put in place training intervention to correct gaps identified.
- Ensure that leadership pipelines are well populated within the department to guarantee continuity of operations.
- Keep Operations Manager abreast of departmental issues involving both technical, processes and people as and when required.
- Build cordial relationships with other departments that have influence on SMD activities such as Engineering, Supply Chain, Product Services, Marketing, Finance, etc.
- Ensure there is a proper dissemination of information between Management and staff within SMD.
- University degree in Engineering
- At least five years’ experience in a similar level in a manufacturing company or Tobacco Factory.
- Knowledge of cigarette production machinery including ancillary equipment, sufficient to manage and lead technical staff.
- High level of people management and communication skills, and understanding of human behavior.
- Leadership and ability to influence and motivate the workforce by inspiring teamwork.
- Ability to understand and apply costing and budgetary principles.
- Fluent English both written and spoken and ability to use computer (MS-Office etc.).
- The Production Manager works in an environment characterized by constant changes.
- The job holder must be able to work under pressure and possess the capacity to think on his feet.
- The job holder has the largest number of workforces reporting to him with most of these staff being technically biased. He is a front-line manager and is therefore required to resolve most issues on the spot to avoid repercussions at a later stage.
- A thorough knowledge of plant management Operational / Maintenance Management skills acquired through systematic learning / training to provide the subordinates with guidance in problem solving, process improvements & routing operations.