The Iraq Sub Delegation of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Mosul
invites qualified candidates to apply for the following vacancy:
Position: WatHab Engineer 1 (Electro Mechanical Specialist)
Duration of Contract: Fixed term contract for twelve months (with the possibility of renewal based on needs and performance).
Location: Mosul, Ninawa, Iraq
Date of Issue: 13 of January 2021
Deadline for applications: 20 of January 2021
The ICRC is a neutral, impartial and independent organization, which has been working in Iraq for more than 30 years. Its exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC endeavors to alleviate suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
WatHab Engineer 1 plans, designs and implements engineering projects within the scope of the ICRC’s water and habitat department objectives under supervision of and with coaching from their hierarchical superior. S/he monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments and surveys, and plan new projects. S/he has a close working relationship with external stakeholders related to their projects. More specifically, the Electro Mechanical Specialist contributes to the planning, supervision, implementation and commissioning of complex urban water system projects and studies aimed to rehabilitate, improve, expand, complex electromechanical and hydromechanical infrastructure and to support the design, specification and implementation of Supervision, Control and Data Acquisition systems– SCADA systems.
The Electro Mechanical specialist will play a main role as part of a multidisciplinary project aimed to implement prioritized programs/projects to improve the technical, commercial, financial, institutional, social and environmental areas of water services as part of the humanitarian recovery efforts in urban areas suffering protracted armed conflicts. S/he will be involved at different stages of project phases including execution or supervision of planning, feasibility and Implementation (Engineering – Procurement – Construction) stages.
As a local specialist She/he will also support the engagement with communities, the development of relationship/communication/coordination with local authorities, agencies and projects’ stakeholders including consultants, contractors and suppliers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities under the direct supervision of the ICRC WatHab Engineer in Mosul:
- Perform planning of expenditures together with the WatHab Project Engineers for monthly cash-payments and issue a summary of the requirements for the administration.
- Plan in co-ordination with the administration all payments (contractors, suppliers). Check all documents necessary for payment: measurement sheets, invoices, final inspection reports, etc. Follow up payment with admin and log.
- Together with the WatHab Project Engineers, follow-up on a monthly basis the financial status of the projects (including all contracts or Purchase Orders (PO) signed as well as planned / additional works) and keep the financial status table up to date.
- Organize and maintain the department’s filing (projects, electronic, and others).
- In coordination with the WatHab Delegate and the Projects Engineers. Update the WatHab Project Assistant database (WPA), with input from WatHab Project Engineers.
- Supervise the weekly planning process of field trips, upon request collect requests and send for approval.
- Act as WatHab focal point regarding liaison with logistics department: keeping updated on status of requests, delivery and making link with engineers.
- Receive the visitors and contractors, register and treat/coordinate any information with confidentiality and accuracy
- Respect and observe staff regulations and security rules at all times;
- Know, understand and respect the provisions of the delegation Rules on Financial Management, the ICRC procurement rules, and the Water and Habitat department procedures;
- Represent the ICRC in a professional manner at all times;
- Develop and maintain a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers;
- Perform all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC;
May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in mechanical, electrical, industrial, mechatronics engineering.
- Instrumentation & Control or process engineering specialization.
- At least 3-5 years’ professional experience in a related field of activity with at least 2 years of professional experience working on electro mechanical projects in urban or rural water.
- Excellent command (spoken and written) of English and Arabic.
- Basic command (spoken) of Turkmen is an asset.
- Good knowledge of water and sanitation or construction engineering.
- Hands-on skills with hardware, tools, instruments, general electromechanical systems, measurement techniques.
- Strong focus on the satisfaction of beneficiaries, partners and internal clients.
- May be required to work under pressure due to contextual or operational changes.
- Ability to work independently and produce high quality deliverables at all time.
- Strong sense of responsibilities and well-balanced initiatives
- Excellent command (spoken and written) of English and Arabic.
- Basic command (spoken) of Kurdish (Kurmanji) is an asset.
- Excellent organizational, planning and reporting skills.
- Good spirited, willing and capable to perform within a multidisciplinary/multicultural team.
- Capacity to learn and to adapt to new work methods.
ICRC Remuneration and Social Benefits: We offer
- A monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, medical coverage, training opportunities and social security scheme)
- The opportunity to practice your profession in an international, humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Support you through ongoing learning and development opportunities
The successful candidate will submit to a three month probation period.
- Address Mosul
- How to apply To Apply Interested candidates should forward the following to ([email protected]), indicating in the object of the email the position for which they apply. Updated Curriculum Vitae A cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications Salary expectations Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permit in Iraq. Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. As ICRC, we are convinced that diversity makes us better at what we do: it enables us to form close relationships with wide-ranging communities and develop the best solutions for the people we work with. We make a conscious effort to have diverse teams with regards to age, disability, race, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation and particularly in terms of gender as women make up more than 20 % of our staff and are encouraged to apply.