Job Title: Young learner EFL teacher
Institution: The American University of Kurdistan
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Job Type: Part-Time
Posting Date: 12/9/2022
Closing Date: Open until filled
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with experience
AUK invites applicants for a part time position at Center for Academic and Professional Advancement (CAPA). AUK is a not-for-profit special status institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal arts, professional, and scientific knowledge and preparing the next generation of leaders for the community. AUK envisions becoming the leading academic institution in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and beyond through implementing pedagogical approaches that impact critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and the lifelong learning skills required for success in contemporary society and workplaces.
This position reports directly to the operations manager and the language program coordinator at CAPA.
AUK invites applications for this position starting in September 2022.
We are seeking to appoint a motivated and suitably qualified teacher with expertise in the field of teaching. The successful applicant will join a vibrant team and help shape the development of our young learners’ program. The following are the main responsibilities:
- Prepare and deliver dynamic and communicative lessons across a range of levels to classes comprising of students aged 3-17 years old.
- Conducting activities based on ESL teaching methodologies.
- Undertaking essential administrative tasks such as keeping up to date records of work, attendance, grade sheets, lessons plans etc.
- Correcting homework, quizzes and tests in a timely fashion.
- Reporting to the front desk any discrepancies in levels among students;
- Encouraging and engaging students to speak in English.
- Maximizing students’ talk time in class and also through oral tests and presentations.
- Displaying excellent classroom management.
- Keeping accurate records of student performance.
- Communicating with the language program coordinator, as needed.
- Maintaining standardized guidelines.
- Ensuring that students receive constructive and positive feedback on any completed work.
- Writing individual, (personalized) constructive and positive student reports.
- Attending meetings and professional development sessions based on prior notice.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in English or Basic Education
- 1 year of working experience
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Neutral English accent.
- Proficient in all Microsoft applications.
- Ability to teach young learners from different backgrounds.
- Display patience and cultural awareness.
- Strong communication skills required to transfer the knowledge to the student body.
It is the policy of the American University of Kurdistan to provide an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. The University promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace and makes recruiting decisions exclusively on the basis of qualifications, merit, and current work needs. This policy applies to all hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, remuneration, benefits, and training procedures within our Institution.
The search committee will begin a review of applications immediately, then the applicant will be interviewed. Based on the interview, selected applicants will be asked to give a demo lesson.
To assure full consideration, applications should be including a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and three professional references with e-mail addresses and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. If you face any problems with the Application process, report them to the following email ([email protected]).